Greening Greenpoint is a three-year project launched in the Fall of 2015 that will develop and implement a cutting edge, comprehensive urban forestry plan for the neighborhood of Greenpoint, Brooklyn. The project will increase tree canopy cover and promote healthy, long-lived trees to increase the environmental benefits that trees offer. We'll also train and educate community members to inspire a lasting network of stewards.
Over the next three years we will:
- Map all of Greenpoint's exisiting street trees.
- Create a long-term Forestry Management Plan for the neighborhood.
- Plant over 500 new trees on streets and in parks.
- Install over 400 tree guards.
- Plant bulbs, flowers and ground cover in tree beds
- Enlarge around 675 existing tree beds
- Give away hundreds of free trees for homeowners to plant in their yards.
- Train and equip tree stewards from Greenpoint schools and the community to prune and care for trees.
- Elevate the level of community engagement to create a lasting culture of tree advocacy and stewardship.